Friday, August 24, 2012

Chandelier

A Little Work Goes a Long Way!
Here is one of my favorite and least expensive updates of all.

There were innumerable light fixture and ceiling fans missing that all needed replacing upon moving in.  As the dollar signs started adding up in my head I began to think of ways to keep as many things as possible in the house. Instead of replacing, I thought updating was the better option. This way I still got rid of the things I don't like and got something new at the same time...just not brand new!

There was a not so lovely brass chandelier in our dining room when we moved in. Here is the exact chandelier that I found online so you get the idea of what it looked like before. Not horrible but definitely outdated. 
                      before...
 
After some thought, searching, and shopping at our local hardware stores (which I surprising really enjoy doing with Aus now), I found the perfect solution.




It works great, is only $6.27
at Lowe's and 
imitates wrought iron.




A little work goes a long way.  I had Aus take it down (and put it back up) for me. I removed all the light bulbs and went to town. A little spray paint on the deck (oops) and big stiff finger cramp later and finito! I don't think this picture does her justice but she's a beauty. She's more of a dark brown color resembling the other two chandeliers below. With the addition of some mini chandelier shades, I think she's complete! (will try to provide better picture soon)
                        after...
             


Instead of spending a fortune on a new chandelier...like the ones below...

Pottery Barn Graham Chandelier for $179
                 
                                                                  Ballard Design Talia Chandelier for $299

 ...I updated mine for less than $10!



1 comment:

  1. Super cute idea Britton! A friend of mine did something similar and glued crystals onto little magnets and hung them from each arm of the chandelier...it gave it a classic, girly look if you're interested!

    -Breanna Ellis

    ReplyDelete